I wanted to learn more about Android Nougat 7.1.1. I decided to install it on a Samsung Galaxy S3. The following is what I recall so far.
Installin Team Win Recovery Project
- Download and install the Samsung Driver for Mobile Phones (SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.zip)
- Download and install Odin3 (CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.zip).
- Download Team Win Recovery (twrp-3.0.2-2-i9300.img)
- Switch on the S3 while holding the volume down, home and power button pressed. Confirm download mode by pressing the volume up button. Connect it via a USB cable. Warning: Make sure to use a quality cable. The first cable I used did prevent the S3 to appear in Odin3.
- Start Odin3 in admin mode and transmit twrp-3.0.2-2-i9300.img to the S3.
Installing Lineage OS
- Download Lineage OS (lineage-14.1-20170301-nightly-i9300-signed.zip).
- Optionally download Google apps. I’ve chosen ARM 7.1. nano since all I was interested in was Google Play Store support.
- Copy both files to the root fo the phone’s built-in SD card.
- Boot the phone into Recovery (switch on the S3 while holding the volume up, home and power button pressed.)
- Wipe Cache, System and Data partitions.
- Flash Lineage (and optionally Google apps) by selecting the files from the phone’s flash memory.
- Reboot the phone.
That’s it, basically.